Friday, December 2, 2011

TWO steppin around the Christmas tree. . .

Light it UP!

Kat likes Christmas lights. I know that often people think it is me going overboard with the decorations, but the truth is that Kat really likes Christmas lights on the outside of a house. The first year we were married we had one little strand of white twinkle lights in the living room window. When we lived in apartments we had lights hanging from the balcony. If you knew us in 2001 you saw the house on 15th with the 21 foot tall gabled roof hung with icicle lights. Kat won’t admit it but I suspect that that may be part of the reason she liked that house so much. Can I add that hanging icicle lights from a gabled roof like that requires a crazy long extension ladder, which is not my favorite thing.

In 1993 we were still living in Shawnee in our house at 2525 N Broadway. We had done twinkle lights in the window, and hanging from the front porch. In 1993 Kat talked me into going all out and hanging lights along the roofline of the whole house. One small problem was that we did not own a ladder. Most of the house we were able to get to the roofline standing on a chair. The tricky part was the peaked roof over the garage.

The problem was that the chair was not getting it done. I thought about trying to climb onto the roof of the porch and then from that angle climb up on the garage roof to hang the lights. Repeated attempts to get on the porch roof were unsuccessful. Then Kat had a stroke of genius. In her new plan we would move the Nissan Sentra right up against the house and then I could stand on the roof of the car to hang the lights. Sounds like a plan right?

It was still sounding like a great plan up until SOMEONE (who shall remain nameless) backed the car into the corner of the house. In her defense, (see I didn’t give any names), it was dark when it happened so maybe she didn’t see the BIG HOUSE STANDING there? Yeah, let’s go with that.

But hey, the lights did look pretty that year!

2 comments:

  1. I'm baaacckkkk....and once again, thoroughly enjoying your past & present Christmas exploits. And tell "her" to not feel bad. I once hit a Sonic drive-in menu order board. And yes. I ran like hell once I did. At the least the house was in the dark. My menu board was lit up, like...well, Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe. I am sure I don't know to whom he refers...

    ReplyDelete

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...