Saturday, December 24, 2011

Do you hear what twenty-three?

Do you have a favorite bible verse? Is it your favorite because it speaks to your heart, or because you memorized it in bible school when you were a child and have never forgotten it? I think both are equally valid.

Kat has Isaiah 54:10. Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD, who has compassion on you. Her dad shared it with her when she was in HS or College and she memorized it, and it has helped her through some tough times.

My boys both love Micah 6:8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly[a] with your God. They learned it at camp the first year my Matthew got to go and it has stuck with them. Twice since then they have heard sermons on that verse in church and it always provokes a conversation after church.

I know I have different verses memorized, but the only one that comes to mind is that one about sexual purity that I learned my freshman year at OBU. Don’t ask. And no, it wasn’t something that I thought really applied to me, it was one that OTHER people thought applied to me. I said don’t ask.

My Matthew’s favorite verse? It is found in Luke chapter 2 And the angel said unto them, Fear not, for behold, I bring unto you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you this day is born in the City of Bethlehem, a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; you shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel, a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God, and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on Earth peace, good will toward men' Yes it is the bible verse from Charlie Brown, but that is not why it is his favorite, even though Linus is his favorite. About 3 years ago his children’s choir did a Christmas musical and he was selected to read that line. He had never been chosen for a speaking part in church before and even though he is the original class clown, he took it very seriously, and had it mostly memorized even though he was allowed to read it.

From that time on, when he hears it, he says ‘that’s my verse papa!’ Maybe he just means that it is the verse was his line. But I like to think he means more than that, because a verse about an angel sharing the good tidings of great joy is a powerful message for a child. For any of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...