Thursday, December 8, 2011

Destinys Child EIGHT days of Christmas

All I want for Christmas. . .

Last night when I got home from work, I found my Matthew sprawled on the floor in front of the fireplace with the Toys R Us sales ad from this weekend. I asked Kathleen what he was doing and she said he was working on his Christmas list. I was intrigued because this is highly unusual behavior for my boys. In fact, I don’t think either of them has ever done a Christmas wish list before.

I asked him about it and he explained the way it is supposed to work is that he circles the items he wants for Christmas and maybe he will get them as gifts. I asked him where he got this idea. He answered that he is pretty sure that is how all the other kids do it.

If you know us, or if you have read the blog, you know that we don’t do santa claus, and that all the presents the boys get are from Kat and I or family. What you may not know is that my boys don’t usually get a ton of presents, and that does not seem to bother them. Somehow Kat and I managed to instill in them the idea that Christmas is about something else. I don’t think that is a bad thing at all.

I don’t want for Matthew to be disappointed if he suddenly thinks that making a wish list means he gets a ton of presents. So I ask what happens if Christmas rolls around and he doesn’t get all those gifts? I should not have been concerned. Matthew just shrugged and said, “you know me, a few books, or gift cards for books, and a couple of Star Wars action figures and I am happy!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...