Saturday, December 10, 2011

Christmas time in 10-sel town. . .

Some Christmas moments are orchestrated and some just happen. Our Christmas party is something that just happened, that now has become something that requires a lot of orchestration, but that is another story. Last night’s Christmas moment just happened.

Last Monday Matthew and I put up the tree. Paul wanted to help, but he had homework that was taking too long. After we got the tree up and the lights on, we waited to do the ornaments until everyone could participate. Tuesday night was haircuts, so we didn’t decorate. Wednesday night IT was 6 before I left the office and there was more homework. Thursday night Matthew had a drum performance and Paul had a youth party at church. Last night was another church event, but when we got home I was determined to make this happen.

The boys helped me bring the ornaments up from the basement, but then Paul disappeared while Matthew hung ornaments. I finally got Paul to come back and the tree was half decorated. We finished decorating the tree, Paul put the angel on top, then fighting ensued and Matthew went upstairs in a mood. Sigh. Boys.
Since my Paul was still willing to be involved in something I had him get my train set from the closet. I got this Lionel electric train set when I was a first grader. My 13 year old son, who is taller and broader than I am crawled under the tree and hooked up tracks, then unhooked them and re-hooked them, ran the cord under the tree and helped get the train set up. Then he helped test it, and made adjustments, and then played with it for about half an hour.

I am sorry that my Matthew missed out. But I am not sorry for that sweet interlude where my Paul was still a child, my child, who was having fun. I know that being a teenager is about shedding the child he was and becoming the man he will be, and I am excited about that process. I love the glimpses I see of that man, but I miss that boy, so I am going to hold onto those moments when I get them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...