Saturday, December 17, 2011

O little town of Seventeen

The Jingle

IF you are not now or have never been a resident of the greater OKC area then today might not mean much to you. The oldest jewelers in that area is BC Clarks Jewelers. I bought Kat a pair of earrings there for our 10th anniversary but that is not today’s blog. What makes this store so ingrained a part of so many people’s Christmas is their Christmas sales Jingle.

It is kind of famous. My freshman year my roommate Jay explained it to me as drove all over OKC doing his Christmas shopping before I flew home. The jingle plays every year starting right after thanksgiving and going till Christmas. It is not a particularly catchy tune, but it is insistent, and the singers are extremely chipper and there is just something about the combination that gets stuck in your head.

I won’t say everyone knows it, but I will say more people know it than don’t. Megan Mullally of Will & Grace fame hasn’t lived in OKC in years, but she sang it on Jay Leno a few years back. You can check that out here. I know people who downloaded as their ring tones during the Christmas season, and several people say it isn’t the Christmas season until you hear the jingle.

The words to this magical tune are as follows;

Jewelry is the gift to give, 'cause it's the gift that'll live and live
So give the gift you know can't fail From B.C. Clark's anniversary sale.
Most sales are after Christmas But Clark's is just before.
'Most everything is marked way down,
Savings you can't ignore At Oklahoma's oldest jewelers, Since 1892.
So give the gift you know can't fail From B.C. Clark's anniversary sale.


See? It isn’t really all that but it is part of the holiday season in Oklahoma.

My best Jingle memory was my senior year at OBU when the hand bell choir played it during the Christmas chapel. Now if you never went to OBU you don’t know that Christmas chapel was one chapel no one missed. Combine that with the fact that for all intents and purposes our hand bell choir led by THE Mary Kay Parrish were essentially rock stars on campus will give you a better perspective of how well this went down. Seriously. It brought the house down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...