Sunday, December 18, 2011

An Eighteen to remember. . .

Christmas Party Memory

Last night was our annual Christmas party. It was good. It was smaller than the last few years, with a slightly simpler menu but good nevertheless. I wish you could have been there.

Every year when we do our menu there are certain items that get left off the list from previous years. Sometimes it is a matter of time, sometimes no one ate it last year so why bother, and sometimes it is one of those ‘how much is too much situations?’

Last year I ran out of minutes to make the cookie press cookies. Kat assured me that no one would notice amidst all the other abundance of other cookies. Then Christmas eve Kristi Swinney said, “you know the other night at the party I was looking for those cute Scottie dog cookies and I couldn’t find them.” I hate to let people down.

One of the more recent additions to the menu is those tiny bonbell cheeses. I call them baby cheeses and serve them from a pretty silver bowl and then I say things like, ‘it is Christmas, you need baby cheeses’ or ‘let's not forget baby cheeses is the reason for the season.’ I know, it is horribly inappropriate. In my defense I stole the idea from my fake sis Jen-O. When Jen brought her sainted mother to last year’s party, Miss Shirley laughed so I figure it isn’t off the charts bad, right?

As we were setting up yesterday I was thinking to myself, at least this year with so many new guests, no one will ask about something I left off the list. Only then Elijah, who is 11 says “hey where are those little cheeses in the wax? Those are my favorites. What do you mean off the menu? Are you kidding me? MAN! What kind of party is this?!?!?”

I just can’t win sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...