Sunday, December 1, 2019

Day One

Here we are again. December 1, the first day of advent and the return of my annual 25 days of Christmas blog. As is the tradition I have a brain full of ideas, and plans to start early but I don’t and then here we are looking at a blank page wondering where to start. 
Let me ask this question? How do you get ready for Christmas? I know so many people who spend this weekend, the one after Turkey day in a joyful rush to get ready and start decorating and shopping.  Many years that is us. Well not the shopping, uggghhh to that.  I know my sister Jennifer already hung her family’s stockings. Other friends are posting pictures on social media of their decorations. I at least know where mine are this year. 

This year we are taking a more leisurely approach. Taking some time to catch our breath and ease ourselves into the season. It sounds idyllic right? I’m picturing a crackling fire, cozy blankets, and my family cuddled up on the couch, laughing, and eating popcorn.   Yeah, no. Kathleen had a craft fair today, so another long day of selling fudge.  All three boys had to work their jobs at various points and I’m not feeling well. So it was a juggling act of boys and cars and helping set up and back and forth.  The typical chaos.  Now everyone is tired, but not everyone has quite made it home. We have lots going on. So much going on. So. Very. Much.

I had the conversation with one of my boys, that maybe this year we just take a pass. I’m not saying full on John Grisham Skipping Christmas, but maybe since our lives and our hands are so full, just maybe it’s better not to add to the chaos by decorating, and blogging, and parties, and cookies, and gifts. Especially since collectively, we are tired. Except I’d miss it. I’m not sure I have it in me to skip all those things that add to the chaos. We do enjoy all those things, it just seems like adding to our messy lives is a bad idea.

The flip side is that I am fully prepared and capable of doing the thing where I just drag all of us through the season, some of us kicking and screaming and fighting me the whole time. With enough apple pie moonshine, cookies, and leftover turkey sandwiches I’ll make it through till I collapse around New Years with a sinus infection or bronchitis. When this discussion was had the aforementioned son looked at me with a combination of “Pops, Relax!” And “why do you have to be so extra?”  I suspect he thinks he’s to big to drag.  I said to big to drag, not too big to be IN drag. (Side note: where are those pictures of when Katie Powell dressed him up as a princess?) either way though...

So I’m going to ease into the season.  In years past when I’m doing the things people usually want to jump in and participate, so maybe that old Christmas feeling will kick in. Or I’ll just grumble about doing it myself while my family rolls their eyes. My life is messy, most days I’m not sure how I got here, but I am surrounded by people I love. 

Do me a favor? Love the ones you’re with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...