Saturday, December 7, 2019

Day Seven

Peanut Jesus 2.0

Sunday was a special day for the littles in our class. Yes, it was the first day of advent, but it was also the return the peanut Jesus craft. Peanut Jesus 2.0 is what I’m calling it.  No actual peanuts were used because, you know, allergies, but it’s a good name.  

Why do I love peanut Jesus crafts? Because it’s so hilarious. Even without the googley eyes. And I love hilarious children’s crafts.





As I was preparing for this amazing craft opportunity, some well meaning adult mentioned that we might have baby Jesuses in the resource room. So I checked. The resource room is an interesting place. It’s full of craft supplies from decades of Sunday school crafts. Some of them are fun, some of them have not aged well. 



Case in point. I did find the aforementioned baby Jesus figures. But... blonde baby Jesus? I mean... ok yes, there is a whole  James Taylor “Some Children See Him” vibe, and I do have a pretty blonde Sunday school demographic but...

Y’all do know Jesus isn’t white, right? 

So nope, not going to use the baby Jesus figures from the resource room. Instead I glued wood beads together and made ‘peanuts’ for the littles to use for peanut Jesus 2.0.  I used a variety of colors to better match our demographic. Then Sunday morning I put the bead peanuts out and let the children pick which ever one they wanted. Yes an argument can be made that I’m overthinking this. That I’m putting too much brain energy into this. 



You could make that argument, but one of my littles said “this one looks just like me.” So you make your argument, but I’m going to ignore you. Being seen, being recognized, being represented, that’s important. It’s also something the real Jesus would do.

Do me a favor? Recognize the diversity in the world we live in.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...