Thursday, December 5, 2019

Day Five

Some of you may have noticed I only got to 18 days last year. It’s true, I fell short, way short of the 25 days. I had good intentions, I even had planned day drinking and crafting videos, an unboxing video, a haul video, and a decorate with me video. But yeah, didn’t happen.

I was on a roll, and then this negative thing happened, and it sorta knocked all the wind out of my sails. What could possibly have sidelined my season of merriment you ask? I really struggle with this, and admitting it is tough, but... I got blocked on Instagram.

How could such a thing happen? My sentiments exactly! Why would anyone block me? I’m lovable! And funny! It seems hard to believe but it’s true, it happened.

Picture it, Sicily 1908... I mean Oklahoma City 2018... I’m scrolling through Instagram and one of those home decor influencers posted a video story about how she styled a coffee table scape for the holiday. To be honest, the design steps she employed weren’t all that original or creative... use items in odd numbers, vary the heights of items, something green, or made of wood to reference nature.  I mean, I know that stuff, even Matthew knows that stuff, so I just assume everyone knows. 

What I liked about the video was that I thought I could reference it with a Day drinking and crafting video where I did my version of it.  Like where she said to start with something important to you, I was going to use empty alcohol bottles. For a touch of whimsy, I was going to put a copy of my advent book. I thought it was a great idea.

So, before I did anything I checked too see if we had any mutual connections. We did! Like someone I actually know in the real world, a former coworker I have stayed in touch with. So I reached out to my friend to see how this ‘influencer’ would react. Would they think it was funny? Flattering? Lame? My friend suggested I reach out to the ‘influencer’ directly and ask.

So I did. I sent what I thought was a very nice, respectful message, saying who I was and that I wanted to film a humorous video referencing what she had done. Then I waited. Waited. Waited... and figured out that I was blocked, Blocked! On the Instagram. Me? Blocked.  I was shocked.

And I had already emptied (drank) 3 bottles of alcohol. Then wrapped one in twine, put a ‘dear Santa’ letter in another. I was committed to the process. And all I got in return was Blocked!

Do me a favor? Have a sense of humor this season?  


No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...