Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Day Three

Sunday was Advent Sunday, the first Sunday of the advent season, the Sunday of Hope. How did you honor it? Did you feel Hopeful? As usual we were with our littles Sunday school class.  We talked about Hope, and our bible point was “God is our Hope”. 

In recent weeks two different littles have shared with me that Christmas is about more than presents and Santa, it’s actually about Jesus birthday.  I asked one of the littles if they maybe had learned that at church, possibly in Sunday school. They pondered thoughtfully and then said “No, but honestly, you should maybe teach about that in our class, it’s important.” 

Wait, what?!?! I’m pretty sure that Kathleen has at least touched on it in class. But apparently it didn’t make a lasting impression? At least they are getting it somewhere right?

Our church honors the advent by having different families light the advent candle at the start of service. This year 2 of our littles are part of the family that lit the Hope candle. Because of this we took the whole class for the begging of service and to watch their classmates participate. 

Now if you have never taught a class of 3-6 year olds you might not realize that “behave in church” is open to a very broad definition. Now, Kathleen is quick to tell me, and the parents, and really, anyone who will ask, that our littles always, always, always behave in a manner that is 100% age appropriate. The only issues that ever arise are when age appropriate comes into conflict with adult expectations. So, when we go to big church we always practice what is expected.  Normally I remind them that we will walk quietly in a single file line, we will sit quietly until it’s time to stand, and we will not, no matter what, run to our parents if we see them in church. Then I take a page from Amy Powell’s imaginary book of childcare, and I remind them all, that if one of us decides to break the rules and get rowdy we ALL have to go back to class, and we do not want to be the ONE that ruins it for everyone do we?

Now, not once have we ever taken them out of the service, no matter how loud or squirmy they get, but I do think they take it seriously because they often shush each other, loudly, and remind each other not to ruin it for everyone else.  My favorite part is when we get back to the room and they give notes on how the children’s sermon and the music at the beginning of the service could be improved. Typically they want shorter talking, and less spooky piano, which is what one of our littles calls the organ. She confided in me a few weeks back that spooky piano in the dark and candles is how you get the ghosts and we don’t want the ghost. Then she waggled her finger, raised her eyebrows and said “no ghosts.” I’m not going to argue with her.

This week, because I suspected the decorations and Christmas music might be extra distracting I tried a different approach. I told the children we needed to be extra careful because grownups are easily distracted. The grownups need to be paying attention in church so they can learn about Jesus. Some of the littles were quick to interrupt that they already knew about Jesus, because, “you know, Sunday school.” (See? I knew we had talked about Jesus). 

I agreed, but grownups, sometimes you have to tell them things over and over. This got lots of little heads nodding in agreement. So, on our way to big church, we won’t talk to the grownups, we won’t wave to the grownups, when we get to church, if we see our parents we won’t wave to them and run for them. I told the littles we are a class of very cute children and it’s very easy for grownups to be distracted when we go into big church, so we needed to try and not distract them.  I think this worked pretty well. I mean yes, they shushed Mister Brad, the minister for discipleship when he spoke to them on our way into the sanctuary, and they shushed Ariel Koerner, who was leading the music when she sat down next to Kathleen and greeted the children.  Also, one of the littles confided that her Dad smiles and waved but she did not wave back, so he could pay attention to Jesus.

Honestly, the littles make me laugh every week. I don’t know if that is the hope in the advent or not, but it is certainly joy. Do me a favor? Enjoy the littles in your life? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...