Sunday, December 9, 2018

Day 9.2018

Happy second Sunday of Advent.  Today was the Sunday of Peace. I pray your day was peaceful.
This morning’s Sunday School experience was far from peaceful. Kathleen and Paul brought a mellow, low key vibe to Sunday School, but those littles were not having it.  There was running and block tower building and more of that odd game they keep playing where one of them has a map and they say “I love life but it is my destiny to die…” I must be out of the loop or something because if this somehow reverences a show or a game or something I’ve got nothing.  

Remember last week with the banner and the craft I thought it might be best to start sooner and move things along quicker? Brilliant plan. Genius Plan. A brilliant plan really. Completely unsuccessful. A quite worthless plan really.


grated purple crayon

This week I thought we would do that melted crayon on wax paper stained glass craft.  I thought I would use purple craft paper, cut out shapes and then do the craft and tape the wax paper to the back of the banner. Sounds easy right? I planned ahead and had the iron, the wax paper, and fabric to iron on so as not to damage the tables. I also had a cheese grater.  I was ready.  But first there was no purple craft paper, and the blue was almost gone and therefore insufficient to our needs.  Teal works right? Also, do you know what is not easy for children to do? Grate crayons.  They all took a turn, for about 30 seconds, then they passed it on.  So Paul did most of that.  Then I split them up in groups so we could do 3 of the wax paper things because I thought that would be an easier crowd to manage. 

melted crayon on wax paper art


Why did I think this would be an easy project? So many steps.  Once again, so many of them were not child-friendly steps.  The first group sprinkled on so much of the grated crayon that it took almost 10 minutes with the iron to melt it. 10 minutes of ironing.  10 minutes. While the children sit and watch.  Bored. So I had to explain to them that this craft was about ironing for Jesus. That the season of Advent is about ironing so that our homes are ready for Christmas. Ironed tablecloths and ironed clothes tall Jesus we are ready for Christmas.  I posited that only children who knew how to iron would be getting presents this year.  But Kathleen, AKA the Jesus police, told the children that I was not being truthful.  

Why do they believe her and not me? It is a scandal I tell you.

Cross section of a cell about to engage in intercellular premarital digitation. J/K this is the melted wax on the towel that will never come clean.  

So after much Ironing, we were done. TA-DAH! This is our Peace Banner.  



Be Peaceful. If you can. 

And you know, maybe buy the book if you haven't already. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...