Friday, December 14, 2018

Day 12.2018

Today's post is courtesy of Kristin McAtee.  Pictured here with our friend Brad





This year putting up the tree became a family event. My stepdaughter, Danielle, wanted us to do it all together, Nana and Papa, Aunt Ellen, and Aunt Diane, and so after Thanksgiving dinner, we pulled out the decorations. We purchased a new tree last year and as the women worked on cleaning the kitchen, Danielle and guys worked on figuring out the tree. It was so sweet to look into the living room and see them working together and to hear the conversations, instructions, and laughs. I thought to myself that I would long remember this moment with our loved ones gathered together for food and fun and merriment. 

Finally the kitchen we clean and the tree was ready and we opened up all those boxes. It was only last year that my mom died and that I got married. So not only do I have boxes full of my own memories, but I've added boxes of Brian's memories as well. Last year our ornaments co-mingled for the first time. It was sweet to pull out ornaments his mom had made while she was there to remind us of why she had made them and when. Apparently, Brian cried every time the glass balls broke, so she gave in and painted cute wooden ornaments. A few years later, she made a set of sewed and stuffed ornaments. As always, I have too many ornaments that bring back happy memories for me. I have a handmade embroidered ornament my grandma made for me. Late in her life, her handiwork became more "creative". It is far from perfect, but it will always have a place on my tree. The beautiful ceramic Czech angel my mom bought in 1973 reminds me of my younger years, as does the sad, pitiful felt rocking horse I played with every Christmas. How can I get rid of that? The Three Wise Men candle holders my Aunt Ellen made when she worked for the phone company back in the '60s came out, to Ellen's delight and amazement. I always put out the cheap nativity set my mother bought when I was tiny. I loved it so much and waited to see it every year. In fact, I managed to knock the sheep loose when I was young so that I could play with them and every year my mom would glue them back on. Do you know how easy it is to pull glued sheep up? Quite easy!! All of these reminders brought mom into our party that day. She was there, in her own way, still bringing me Christmas joy. 

Danielle pointed out that Brian and I have many ornaments given to us for our wedding last year that all say "Mr and Mrs." She would like to be represented on the tree as well. Of course! Why didn't we think of that? She is building her own memories of this family time and may one day pull out some of these ornaments and remember these moments. I love how this year Danielle was excited to see the Advent calendar my mom made when I was young. Last year was her first year to use it and already it is a tradition for her. Christmas is the great glue for us all (excepting plastic sheep). We weave together our memories. Some are for us alone and others mingle with new family members, new Christmases, new generations. The sweetness lies in how beautifully it all comes together, every year. I pray that each family experiences the same joy in remembering and sharing during this special season of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...