Friday, December 7, 2018

Day 7.2018


Tonight was a rarity in this busy season. Quite unexpectedly my whole family found itself together at my in-laws at dinner time.  I can’t tell you how rare this actually is, even though we live only a block away from my children’s grandparents.  Busy work schedules, and school schedules prevent us from eating together at our house more often than not.  My Matthew works two jobs, goes to school and is a varsity athlete, plus he has a girlfriend that does not go to his school.  My Bonus son works, goes to school and has a girlfriend.  Paul is equally busy with his life and girlfriend too.  This is also the height of candy season, so Kat is spending many evenings at her folks making fudge and caramels and cookies and other delicious treats (that she refuses to bring home to me, but I digress).

So, taking advantage of this rare time of togetherness, we all sat down together and shared a humble meal of take out chicken, grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup.  All my boys love chicken.  You know that thing? Where Kathleen says what do you want for dinner, and I say sushi and she says no?  The boys always want chicken.  Even my Matthew who loves him some ribs will pick chicken first.  So, we had chicken, and grilled cheese and tomato soup.  Elisa had planned on the soup and grilled cheese before Kat showed up with the chicken.  It was good. 

Nolen shared the story that when he was a child in school, (and I could see Paul thinking, ‘with Jesus’) on Friday’s when they did not have fish sticks, they had grilled cheese and tomato soup.  This heartwarming memory led to a conversation about the news presidents administration had rolled back the nutritional guidelines set under the previous administration.  Matthew had words to say about this, as school lunches being nutritious and filling and available to all students is a major trigger issue for him.  My baby does not want his friends going hungry. 

In the midst of this time of togetherness and family sharing I sat there, thankful for my family and the love we share and for nights like tonight where we can all be together, even if it wasn’t some fancy dinner.  It was just humble fare shared by people I love.  In the midst of this time of love and familiarity my Matthew turned to Paul and shared this expression of brotherly love, “Bro, you are the plate to my hot dog, I don’t mind it when you are there, but you are completely unnecessary.” 

Father of the Year right here. Changing lives. Raising future leaders. Probably have some explaining to do to Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...