Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Day 10.2018

From the mouths of babes.

Every Sunday, in addition to amazing fun crafts, we have a bible story. This last week’s lesson was about Elizabeth and Zachariah. Sort of a standard for the whole, second Sunday of advent thing.  Did you know that because Zachariah didn’t believe the angel about Elizabeth being pregnant so God withheld Zacharias voice until John was born?  Imagine how Elizabeth must have felt? She was pregnant and for the entire time, her husband could not say a word.  I don’t know if that is a blessing or a curse.

So, some Sunday mornings the children are very involved in the story, and paying attention and remembering what happened leading up to it.  Not so much this week. Now I understand, a miraculous pregnancy that we talk about in December is confusing.  But this Sunday as Kat tried to tell the story they were all rushing her and arguing.   

Yes, yes we know the baby was born and named Jesus. 

No, the baby was named John.

Did they change the name later?

No, this is not the story of Jesus’ birth this is the story of John the Baptist.

But what if they named him John Henry instead?

They did not name him John Henry, they named him John and when he started his ministry people called him John the Baptist, he came to tell people about Jesus.

That is silly, they could have just read about Jesus in the bible.

I opted not to tell the children that John was a joy to his parents because I myself was finding that hard to believe.

The other incident worth noting about Sunday morning was that my Paul had recently, like Saturday night, shaved his head.  So Sunday morning he was bald as a cue ball.  One of the little girls remarked that she was having trouble that morning because she had long hair and it sometimes gets tangled.  Paul commented that he has the same problem.  She looked at him, and it took her a minute or two of intense concentration before she said, “but you don’t have any hair.”  My Paul answered that he had long pretty hair like she did and put his hand on his head and pretended to be shocked to find he was balled.  The look of surprise on the other children’s faces was priceless!  


Do me a favor tonight? Hug your littles if you’ve got them, it goes by so fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...