Tuesday, December 26, 2017

2017.19 Merry Merry

Sometimes the best laid plans…

What did you have planned for Christmas eve and Christmas day?  I am willing to bet it was not waiting on apartment maintenance to come out and fix the sewage that was backing up into the bathtubs in both bathrooms. We got home at 10:30pm from our usual red and green enchilada dinner with my in-laws. Both boys were exhausted and went to bed, and that is when Kat discovered the problem. 

I give big props to the maintenance  guy who showed up within half an hour.  He stayed until 2pm before throwing in the towel and asking us to call in again first thing in the morning.  So, while other families were wrapping presents for Santa, Kat and I dozed on and off on the couches.  I’d like to say we were watching Christmas movies, but to be honest I was mostly dozing so I don’t know what we were watching.

First thing this morning the maintenance was back at it, and his co-worker who was too drunk to show up and help last night was here.  They were hard at work, but it was still backed up.  The boys slept in, and slept and slept.  I did put on a hallmark Christmas movie this morning, something about cookies, so I thought it would appeal to Kat.  The acting was so bad, she had me turn it off 15 minutes in.  Then I put it on the great British bake off Christmas master class with Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry.  Somehow I managed to sleep through that one twice.

Paul had to be at work today at 2pm.  Just when we were at the point where he was going to need to get ready at his grandparents, maintenance saved the day. So yeah! For maintenance, and boo to my neighbor who flushed a diaper.   So Paul went to work and not a single present was wrapped, or unwrapped.  When Matthew finally got himself up he could not be persuaded to wrap presents for me, so we just chilled and waited for Kat to come home.  Again, I want to say we watched Christmas movies, but mostly it was Doctor Who, since we are woefully behind and Matthew wanted to get caught up in time for the Christmas special.  We discussed going to see a movie but elected to pass, not wanting to pay for a movie, and having already seen anything we could use a pass for.

When Kat went to get Paul, Matthew got the presents organized, opting once again for the ‘everything in a bag and we just take turns pulling stuff from the bag and guessing who it is for’ option.  Then we had a brief conversation about which holiday movie best set the appropriate festive mood for present opening.  After thoughtful deliberation Matthew chose Love Actually.  Then at last when Kat and Paul got home, finally we opened presents and watched the movie.  While not a “traditional” Christmas by any means, it was our Christmas. 


I hope yours was enjoyable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...