Monday, December 25, 2017

2017.18 Merry Christmas

Bit of a hiccup and here it is the 25th and I am only on day 18. I do have a plan, but not for today.

Today's blog is brought to you by Najah Hylton.  I have known Najah since she was a sassy little girl and somehow when I wasn't looking she grew up to be a sassy young woman and now this wonderful person I still think of as teenager is also a mama. She is also a teacher, and a writer and a poet. 



I’m a performer and poet and I don’t have a Christmas poem that I would perform onstage. I wrote this and I’m happy with it, even if I don’t get the chance to say it on a stage. 

I’ve been experimenting with this shorter, punchier style over the last couple of years. It relies on wordplay to create layered meaning. It’s not my fortè but I like stretching myself. 

It’s also a bit of a prayer. 

Merry and Jolly and Bright

Merry and jolly and bright:
Mary gave más 
When she gave Christ light.
She sacrificed her body and her pride 
in hope that her baby that would grow up
to make all wrongs right.
She would have been the talk of Nazareth,
if Joseph hadn’t kept his faith tight.
They probably still got a lot of shade
when he made a pregnant girl his wife.

Merry and jolly and bright:
Everyone’s hope is in high gear
at Christmastime.
Just lights and decorative sweaters
make neglected neighborhoods 
and stressful jobs seem better.
Communities agree 
to bring peace to the world. 
People who year-long ignore you, Lord,
submit to their need for your joy,
admit that they hope for more,
wish their lives could be whole and restored,
put a smile on their faces 
and pretend that snow and tinsel 
are what they were waiting for.

Merry and jolly and bright:
Your spirit flows free,
responding to humanity’s
willingness to do the right things.
Inviting each of us, every one 
to accept what you offer all year long,
to RSVP and then show up 
for love.
We’re watching out.
We don’t cry or pout
because Santa Claus is coming to town.
I think deep down, we all know 
you’ve been here the whole time -
knowing when we’ve been good or bad,
seeing us when we’re sleeping and awake,
showing us forgiveness through your son
for the kingdom’s sake.

For once I didn’t put up a tree.
I wanted to have to look deep
to find you and the season’s meaning.
I reached past the glitter and glamor,
searching for one bright star
in your subtle, first Christmas manner.
In the solitude, I figured out:
all I want is you this Christmas -
no gifts, just your presence 
no shopping, just sitting 
and searching for your essence.
Merry and jolly and bright:
I’m forgiven because of this holy day, 
restored, adopted and made righteous in your sight.

Amen. So let it be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...