Friday, December 1, 2017

2017.1 Santa Paul

Welcome Back.  I had intended to close out last year with a bang and share this amazing thing that happened.  It is Paul’s story, so I had asked him to write about it, and he said he would.  Then in typical Paul fashion he never got around to it.  I think he had intentions of doing it, but I also think all the fuss about it made him uncomfortable.  So, here we are a year later and I am telling the story.  If we are lucky, there may be a follow up to this story.  As of today, Matthew is planning on interviewing Paul about it and writing it up for the blog.

Here is the short version.  Last year Paul lost his wallet.  He had spent the morning with a group of NW Classen students at a local Head Start program passing out presents.  Paul was participating dressed as Santa Claus.  This was the second year he had done this, and I am not sure who enjoyed it more, Paul or the children. 

Not actual Children from the News Story


When they took a break for lunch, the NW Classen students walked across the street to get lunch.  On this walk, Paul’s wallet fell out of his pocket.  Apparently Santa’s pants have shallow pockets.  Wallet fell out, and he did not even notice it when it happened.  He had about $8 in his wallet and his new photo id.  I suspect he was more disappointed in losing the wallet than in losing the money.   

The story doesn’t end there. In fact, check out the news 9 coverage of the event.


And when I looked it up today online for the links to share the store I discovered that it has also been on posted on liftable dot com and littlethings dot com

There are not even words to tell you how proud I am of Paul every day.  Many people said that this recognition could not have happened to a more deserving kid, and that is certainly true.  What I am left wondering about this whole situation is how that little boy who refused to sit on Santa’s lap, ever, and who swore that only he, Paul, was getting presents for his brother, how did that little boy grow up to be Santa?  I’d ask, but senor grouchy pants probably doesn’t have an answer tonight.  I would ask his brother but he is just as grouchy and less likely to answer.  So here is my take away, I think at some point my dear son Paul figured out that not all little kids have brothers like him; looking out for them and ensuring they get presents.  My friend Chelsey asked this week when do you tell your children the truth, and someone on her timeline bemoaned the fact that it is sad when your child “looses the magic.”  I am going to say that as my son got older his knowledge of Santa didn’t take anything away from his enjoyment of the holiday, it only added to Christmas, not just his, but to others as well. 

My Little Paul



This whole situation, the recognition that he received and the generosity of the employees at Pace Butler, really made the whole holiday season for my Paul.  I am forever grateful for that.  More important I love the heart of my boy who was trying to give Christmas to others.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...