Friday, December 22, 2017

2017.16 Say their names

So here it is the 22nd of December. I am on day what? 16.  So a week behind. But I am not not giving up yet.

Today is Jay Kopp’s Bday.  He would be 39 if he had not ended his life last December. I know many of his friends gathered a few weeks back on the anniversary of that day to honor and remember him.  I remember Jay all the time, but I could not bring myself to celebrate that day.

This brings us here.  Around Thanksgiving my friend Jennifer Owen Hill shared this saying on FB about three deaths, and the final death is when a person’s name is spoken for the last time.  I think about that. Often. 





When I decorated for the party last year, I put out ‘reserved’ cards for those that I had lost in the months leading up the party as a way to honor them and remember them and to say that even without their physical presence, I have not forgotten them. 

This year’s decorations included picture frames.  Initially I had planned to put pictures of the many guests and loved ones who once attended our party, (or intended to) and are no longer with us.  As I ran out of time I came up with this alternative.  I actually liked it better than I had planned. 


It hurts that there are so many people who we loved and who are gone.  It hurts that unfortunately the list can only get longer the longer we have the party.  It hurts, but I do not want to be the one who says these names for the last time, so I am saying them and I plan to continue saying them.



Jane Rogers Meeks


 Jay Kopp

Chris Young



Jan Kinkade


Mike Sutton


Stephanie Dunaway Forrest


Amanda Rohn


Ann Hankins


Geraldine Black

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...