Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Christmas Without Any Toys



My friend Candy from college, (not to be confused with my former co-worker with the same name, or Kami, who I also know from college who shares Candy’s face), posted on FB today that she had a moment while shopping for gifts when she realized that toys were no longer on her children’s wish list.  I am not exactly sure how this can be, since her kids are younger than mine.  Well, at least some of her kids are younger than mine.  I am pretty sure she has like 15 kids.  She says she has 5, or maybe 6.  I think she is unclear herself because with that many, who can keep up?

In any case, no more toys for her boys.  My first reaction was to comment that I still get legos for my Paul, and star wars action figures for my Matthew every year because that is what they want.  Then I got to thinking. . . I haven’t asked them in a while.  I assume that is what they want, but I guess I could be wrong. . . Crap!

So I asked tonight. My Matthew wanted to know why I was asking.  Was this a test?  Who was going to get this information and what were they planning on doing with it.  Then he admitted that he still likes to get those, but he doesn’t want it advertised.  Then at the store he showed me his new hobby which is model cars.  A new hobby much more expensive than action figures.

I asked my Paul and he also wanted to know why.  So I explained that my friend Candy’s boys no longer asked for toys for Christmas.  Paul said, “Well it happens.”  Then he wanted to know how many boys.  I told him 5, maybe 6.  Matthew interjected “it must suck to be her.”  My Paul thought that was offensive because Mama has to put up with 3 boys and it doesn’t suck for her.  Matthew said he was pretty sure that this Candy lady, whoever she was, didn’t have kids as great as he and Paul.

I interrupted and said I was sure that Candy thought her kids were the best and that was all that truly mattered, and that I am pretty sure her kids are much more humble than at least one of mine.  Then I repeated the question.  Paul never really said yes he wants legos.  He said they are good gifts, and that he still enjoys making things with legos.  He also said he likes books, and choosing his own books.  He mentioned that I owe him a video game, and that he has several in mind he would enjoy.  After a few minutes of reflection he suggested it might be best if he gave me a list.

While Candy is missing a time when her boys wanted toys for Christmas, I am missing a time when my boys didn’t speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...