Sunday, December 15, 2013

Joker's Christmas Tree



Last year I wrote about Matthew and his Pink and Green Christmas tree. When we were decorating last year Paul asked who put Matthew in charge and wanted to know if he could choose for next year.  I agreed and he said we were having a purple and green Christmas tree.  The Joker tree is what he called it.

So periodically he’s checked out Pinterest and done some internet research, but never really came up with the solid plans that Matthew had.  Solid plan or not, he held to his idea.  So last week the boys and I hit up Michael’s with a 40% coupon to see what we could find.  Initially I was thinking I could steer him towards some sort of peacock themed tree.  Not that I was in love with that idea but it was the best I could come up with that involved green and purple.

When we got there Matthew scoped out the decorations and explained to Paul that we could either go with bright colors, like the pink and green he did last year, or go with darker colors like burgundy and dark green. ‘Like in the olden days’.  Paul pondered and chose bright colors.  Matthew helped him pick some green Christmas balls.  Paul found some giant purple silk poinsettias. A few aisles over the Christmas picks were half off.  The boys pretty much loaded up the cart with green and purple glittery things. 

I am not a real big fan of those Christmas picks as tree decorations, but you know what I am a fan of?  Watching my boys work on things together.  Paul has particular tastes and he was doing a good job picking the things he liked, and Matthew was doing a good job of keeping Paul focused on the task at hand. “Is that purple or is that green?  It seems pink to me, let’s go with this one, it is really purple.”

They also chose supplies for several Christmas crafts.  I am not sure if we will have time for them before Christmas or not, but I am interested in what they come up with.  Paul chose 4 large wooden letters that spell out XMAS.  I asked if he was concerned people would say he was taking Christ out Christmas. He just rolled his eyes, and Matthew explained that in ancient times the X stood for Christ. “Really Papa, what are you thinking?”

On our way home Paul confided to me that he wasn’t as good at crafts as Matthew was.  I said I didn’t think that was true.  Then Paul gave me a shopping list of all the crafts that Matthew has thought up.  I agreed that Matthew is pretty creative, but that reminded Paul that everyone has their own special talents, and that as long as he enjoyed doing crafts I didn’t think it mattered whether or not he was the one to think them up.  Then I asked if he could tell which of the picture frames from last year he did and which Matthew did.  He admitted that they all looked the same.  Which was exactly my point.

Last night Paul decorated his purple and green tree.  I culled through our other ornaments and pulled out some dark green balls, and a purple fan from pier one in 1992. It did not take him very long.  Now I admit that the back of the tree is a little bare but you can’t tell.  I had asked Matthew if he wanted to help, but he declined.  He said it was Paul’s project and he didn’t want to be too much in charge.  Plus he has his silver tree to decorate later.


Again, I do not love this type of tree decoration, but I adore my boys, and Paul is really proud of his tree.  Therefore I freakin LOVE this tree.  Matthew even told Paul he couldn’t have done it better himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...