Friday, December 25, 2020

stardate 12.19.2020


Today’s blog entry is from my Aunt Pat Myles.  She is the oldest of my Dad’s siblings.  She is the matriarch of a wonderful family of four children and so many grandchildren and great grandchildren.  She is a kind and lovely person.  I am very thankful she took the time to share this with me.  


A Christmas Memory 


During World War II , my Granddad Kinkade worked at the Malden (MO) Air Base.

There was a shortage of many things, including sugar, chocolate, and some other things which were rationed. Each family received a book of ration stamps that were used to allow purchases of those items.  Sometimes items were not available even though a family might have ration stamps for them.

Since my Granddad worked at the Air Base he had commissary privileges. Things were not rationed at the commissary.

I must have been 7 or 8 years old and it was Christmas Day.  At least three of the Kinkade brothers and their families had gathered at our Grandparents’ home.  I remember my Granddad getting everyone to come into the living room and he had a bag of gifts.  I think he must have felt like Santa that year.

I don’t know how much he was paid at the Air Base, I think he worked as a janitor and a repairman.  He must have spent most of at least two pay checks to buy Christmas gifts for everyone in the family.

The gifts were not wrapped but he started with the children and gave each of us a Hershey bar.  We were so excited!

Then he gave Grandmother and each of the daughters in law a pair of silk stockings.  Silk stockings were not available at all in clothing stores; but he could buy them at the commissary.

Then he had cigars for each of his sons.

I think I am probably the last one in the Kinkade family who remembers that Christmas.  I am 84 years old and I think all of the grandchildren who would have been old enough to remember that special Christmas will be celebrating in heaven this year.

Because of this special Christmas gift HERSHEY BARS are still the best chocolate ever.  Maybe because in my mind it represents ❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...