Wednesday, December 1, 2021

And just like that...




Here we are again, December 1st.  All year long I think about what I’ll say, what I’ll write about, and how ro explain why I went dark early last year.  I plan to start early, to get all 25 days written in advance, or at least planned in advance.  Yet, here we are, day one, nothing written, and nothing planned.  Typical.


Some years, most years, I’ve got big plans by now, a master plan, a big list with too many items on it.  This year, not so much.  Way back in January when I was sure this time of covid living would be a memory by now I was planning a huge return to normal christmas party and I was tentatively planning a “Home Alone” theme.  Mostly because I thought that a sign by the punch bowls that said “Are ya’ thirsty for more?” would be funny.  Spoiler alert, no big return to normal party.


Is anyone else already tired?  Usually coming into December I am eagerly looking forward to all the things, and I am taking my vitamins, drinking airborne, gearing up, girding my loins, so to speak, so that I don’t miss out on any of the fun things.  But this year, I am already tired and I haven’t done anything!  Well, as Advent started sunday we did already make an advent banner in sunday school, and our first christmas ornament. But otherwise? Not so much. No banners have been hung, no halls have been decked.  Nary a stitch of apparel on any of the gays.  It way as well be February. 


Uggh.  That last paragraph is so whiny.  I might have to go back and delete it.  It isn’t that it isn’t true but it sounds like I am moping, and far from it.  Maybe this is just one of those quiet years? Downscaled?  I’ve done that before, right? Maybe? Maybe not.  But still. I could do it, right?  


It is not that I don’t want to be shiny and bright and embrace all the merriness.  I totally do.  I am just struggling with the appropriateness of a full on blitz of christmas cheer in the face of the world we live in.  Things are not great out here, so maybe I am having a harder time heralding the holiday because things seem so dark.  And yes, I am reminded that things were pretty dire for the jews when Jesus was born, and that is what we are celebrating.  So, perhaps there is some appropriateness to my ennui.


I am not sure how to end this so I am going to hit you with 3 christmas quotes.


"Christmas is not a time nor a season, but a state of mind." --Calvin Coolidge

"I don't think Christmas is necessarily about things. It's about being good to one another." --Carrie Fisher

“Nobody is walking out on this fun, old fashioned family Christmas” --Clark Griswald 

So yeah, you are stuck with it, its all in your head anyway, so be good to one another.


No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...