Monday, December 14, 2020

stardate 12.13.2020



Ho ho something something.


How is everyone today? Living? Breathing? I hope so. I really do.  


I have been noting on the social medias that people are talking about the busy holiday season.  Initially I accept that at face value, the holidays are always a busy time, presents to purchase, cookies to eat, church activities, holiday parties, in addition to your normal work and family life.  Except… this is 2020, so at least for many of us, there are only online church activities, many gift purchases are done online to avoid being around people, and holiday parties are a big no.  So I am left wondering what are we busy doing?


I know this week is the week before our usual party date.  Any other year we would be busy baking, and decorating and cleaning the house, but not this year.  Instead our to-do list involves making 5 more batches of fudge, making cookies, sending and delivering packages, tidying the house, and decorating at least the part of the house people will see on the zoom party… So, yeah, um, I get the busy part, but at least there are cookies!


I was thinking today about holiday parties, We aren’t having a Sunday school party, or work parties, or any of the other events where you gather with people and play white elephant and exchange gifts that you might not really want.  I have to admit, I do miss it.  I don’t miss it enough to actually go to one, or host one, but I do miss it.  


My thought process ended up with me wondering about being isolated at the holidays.  Kathleen and I have been parents for 20 plus years, and even before that we were part of big extended families, so we aren’t accustomed to not being with people at the holidays.  The first year Kathleen and I lived in Oklahoma City, so 1994 maybe? Kathleen’s office was having a big holiday party at her supervisors house.  We were looking forward to it, but then the day of, our car wouldn’t start.  I don’t remember what the actual issue was, but we weren’t going anywhere.  It was disappointing, because it had been something that we were looking forward to.  Instead of staying home, we decided to walk across the parking lot to have dinner at Pioneer Pies, which was right there by the apartments.  


I don’t remember who was supposed to be at the party, but I do remember eating dinner with Kathleen.  It was quiet and just the two of us at our table and it was pleasant.  I enjoy being with Kathleen.  She is funny and smart and she puts up with me, so essentially the perfect company.  I love being a father, and I love my boys, and at the same time, I am thankful to be reminded that I am so lucky to have Kathleen to keep me company.


So maybe if you aren’t going to have a houseful of loved ones this year, that is ok.  It might not be what you want, but that doesn’t mean it has to be a bad thing.  Please give yourself the freedom to enjoy what you do have this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...