Saturday, December 5, 2020

stardate 12.5.2020

Five Shiny Things!

Yesterday I wrote about my nephew Christian, who is probably my favorite little 9 year old nugget in the world. See this little elf face right here? I just want to squish it!  When I took Matthew to Tucson I got to spend a few days with Jen’s family and I really enjoyed spending time with Christian.  He has such a big personality for such a small person.  While I was there he asked if I knew if any of the stores had eggnog yet?  I told him I wasn’t sure as it was still October, but that I would look if I happened to be in a store.  He reminded me that eggnog is his favorite.  Seriously, that boy loves eggnog. 


I did happen to be in the store the following day (getting supplies for the bakery) and I noticed they had eggnog and pumpkin eggnog.  So I grabbed a jug of each.  We taste tested them a few days later and we agreed the pumpkin was not as good as the original, but that the pumpkin one was not bad.  Rumors that he used one or both on his breakfast cereal that week can not be confirmed.  Honestly, I am sworn to secrecy.  


On thanksgiving he used his mom’s phone to text me a new joke, “what do you get when you cross Hot chocolate with eggnog? Hot Nog!”   Since then he has been thinking further on the subject of Hot Nog and convinced someone to make it for him.  Wednesday night he called to tell me that his Mom was going to put Hot Nog on the menu at her bakery.  He encouraged me to try it.  He insisted that I would love it.  Everyone here at the house thought it would be way too sweet,  But Christian swears it is yummy.


So a few nights ago after dinner I made Hot Nog for the family.  I did some research, and as much as I would like to give credit to the little nugget for inventing this on his own, it is already a thing.  Most of the recipes I saw online recommended using a mixture of milk and eggnog so that it's not so rich.  I opted to use half eggnog and half chocolate milk, (which we have a surplus of).  I used a dark chocolate powdered cocoa mix, and used 2 tablespoons to 6oz of the chocolate milk/eggnog mixture.  I added marshmallows, although I think marshmallow fluff sprinkled with crushed candy canes might have been better.  


The verdict?  I liked it.  I may have been the only one in the house that did.  Do you think my niblings could be right?  Maybe I am Santa?


No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...