Thursday, December 24, 2020

stardate 12.18.2020

Today's entry comes courtesy of my Dad.   Of all the things 2020 has brought us, who would have predicted that my Dad would join facebook, let alone write for the blog? And yet, here we are.



Disclaimer Alert! I've  never written a blog before. I know Judson expected a Christmas blog featuring him as my no.1 son, which he is numerically. LOL However this blog also features his siblings; Jennifer, Juliet, and Ben.

I like blogs with themes like favorite Christmases, memorable Christmases,etc. The theme of this blog might be Jerry and kids Christmases.

The commonality of Christmases for my adult life has largely been enjoying Christmas with kids. Initially there was Judson and Jennifer to focus on at Christmas then Juliet and Ben came along. Later after Judson and Jennifer had moved, Juliet and Ben were my Christmas companions for a few more years. Now that they have moved on with their lives, I alternate between spending Christmas with one or more of them. Christmas means kids to me!

I have memories of stuffing stocking, wrapping gifts, trimming trees in different homes, in different states, in the city, on the ranch; sometimes with lots of gifts sometimes  not so much, but always filled with excitement, fun, food and loving family and friends. 

I grew up in a family that celebrated  Christmas with immediate  and extended family at  times, friends, food, fun, and gifts. It was always exciting no matter our circumstances; partially because we celebrated Christ's  birth and partially because our parents loved to celebrate  Christmas  as a family. I've  tried celebrating Christmas  in other ways over the years but nothing was as personally fulfilling. So, my model of Christmas is celebrating  with kids.

It hasn't  always been easy to celebrate with my kids at Christmas.  There were many years I would be swamped with work at the hospital during the holidays. I was on-call the week before 
Christmas  many years and sometimes  got home just before the kids woke up on Christmas  morning. There were years I was a single parent and coordinated Christmas with the kids moms. I remember one year coming home from being on call at 3:00 am determined to finish wrapping last minute presents and falling asleep under the tree.

I have a fond memory  of cutting a tree with an axe and pulling it over the snow horseback on our ranch, my all-time  favorite tree, kept it up a month. 

Most of all I remember happy kid's faces, Santa's little helpers wrapping and hiding presents from one another until Christmas  morning, kids helping make Christmas cookies and my favorite,  Christmas breakfast.

Like my dad, I've  always been a big believer  in Santa Claus; leaving cookies and milk, hearing reindeer on the roof, telling the kids Santa came while they were sleeping( which created sleeping problems  for Ben especially), etc.

Going to Christmas eve church services, singing carols, listening to Elvis have all been traditions we practiced.

I remember gift giving. I don't remember gifts. What I do remember and cherish is the love we shared, the love each one communicated in their unique ways, the love we felt and affirmed for each other, the love we now share as adult's 

Now that I'm  retired I look forward to spending Christmas  with my kids and grandkids. Each of the kids have developed  their own unique styles of celebrating  Christmas. Judson and Kathleen celebrate with an annual social event with half of OKC, Jennifer decorates her home and bakery with beautiful seasonal decorations, Juliet and Becca create a memorable  feast each year while Ben loves sharing Christmas  with Zaylan. 

So, for me this is what it's all about, whether we share it in person or by zoom this year, we will celebrate it. Merry Christmas everybody! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...