Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Day Seven 2016

Today was the last day of school before Christmas Break for the boys.  I am off work this week to get ready for the party.   Paul had an appointment at the chiropractor today after school.  So I picked up both boys and took them to the appointment.  In years past the week before the party, (also known as party week) has been highly anticipated, and the boys have come running out school EAGER to start on party prep.  Not so this year.

I tried to engage them in the car with a discussion about the menu that Kat an I had worked on at lunch.  I asked if there were any last minute additions, or things that were really necessary menu items.  They both were noncommittal “I’m sure its fine”.  “It is all good Papa.”  Finally I said “at lunch when Mama and I talked about the menu, at first I read her the list from my phone, then I put my phone away so we could discuss the menu without interruption…”  Matthew replied “that comment does not go unappreciated”, but still waited to put down his phone. 

To be fair, I don’t really need the input from them, but it is more fun when they are engaged.  When we got to the chiropractor Matthew wanted to wait in the car, but I dragged him into the office to wait with me.  While inside, I regaled him with many of my clever ideas and suggestions.  First I posited that we could serenade his brother, and the other patients at the chiro clinic today with Christmas carols.  I suggested we stand outside the rooms and sing loudly so they could hear.  I started to warm up in the waiting area singing that year round classic “La La La Singing.”  My Matthew tried to crawl under his chair.

Then I pointed out the under decorated Christmas tree in the waiting area.  Matthew tried to hush me, but I pointed out that I wasn’t talking that loud, and that the people who decorated the tree clearly knew it was under decorated.  A fact is a fact, regardless of whether or not anyone points it out.  That lead to conversation about trees falling in forests and bears and whether or not that makes a thing true.   

We then segued into a conversation about whether or not the ornaments on that tree were sad or not.   I assured him that they were, particularly because they were red, and red is one of the decoration themes for this year’s party.  #Allegedly.  I suggested that perhaps one of the ornaments might like to accompany us to our party, in Matthew’s pocket.  When he stood up, he awkwardly bumped the tree, which was really placed too close to his chair, and one of the ornaments fell off the tree.  He caught it. 

I told him this was a sign that that was the ornament that was most unhappy on that under decorated tree.  It seemed only right that that sad ornament be liberated.  And so the #OrnamentLiberationFront was born.  Honestly I am not sure why I didn’t think of this sooner.  We are already in talks to consider the happiness of several other trees we have access to have seen this year.



Kathleen suggests I let law enforcement everyone know I fully plan to return this to the chiropractor office on 12/26/2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...