Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Day Four 2016

Today was an amazing day, definitely lifted my spirits, but I haven't really wrapped my head around that yet, so I am letting Jodi Thompson pitch hit for me.

Do you remember what Christmas was like when you were a little kid? Did you spend hours circling toys in the catalog? Did you fret over if you had been good enough to get that very special present you asked for, or if that time you cut a chunk out of Christy’s hair was going to doom you to a holiday of socks and underwear? Did you look forward to Christmas gatherings of the extended family, decorations and food covering every flat surface?

Now imagine spending Christmas in a homeless shelter.

Hang on – don’t leave! I promise this is not going to be depressing!

For many years, I have had the pleasure of volunteering at one of our local homeless shelters, primarily in the building for women with minor children. Our main goal is to provide monthly birthday parties, but we also celebrate other special events, like graduations and Christmas. What I have learned by watching the kids has changed me in a way that is difficult to explain.
When Santa visits the shelter, the number one thing that kids ask for is a house for their family. No surprises there, right? The second most requested item is something for a parent/grandparent/aunt/sibling. That’s right—they are talking to the Big Man about what they want to see under the tree and it is something for SOMEONE ELSE. 

That blows my mind.

Little children who are living a way we can’t imagine don’t ask for themselves, they ask for the people they love. Who taught them to love in that way? Circumstance. At a tender age, they realized that stuff comes and goes, but the people you love are forever. They could teach the world a thing or two, if only the world would listen.

Our second Christmas event (after Santa has visited) is called “Santa Shop.” We set up a small “store” with gifts – scarves, jewelry, coffee mugs, etc. – and each child gets to come in and shop for two adults (whoever they are staying with at the shelter, plus another). We help them wrap and label their gifts, and then they are placed under the tree.

Those kids spend more time debating the perfect gift than most adults spend choosing their presidential candidate. First, they must decide who the second person will be. Siblings negotiate who gets Auntie, Grandma, and Dad. There is always one who insists that the second gift be for someone who works or volunteers at the shelter. It is serious business. Oh – and not that wrapping paper! Use the other one because Mama’s favorite color is green!

They leave the room full of smiles. Occasionally they run out and yell, “I got you a secret present – purple gloves!” Even when the “spoil” it, the entire building is full of joy.

They give because they want to give, not because they feel obligated. They choose thoughtfully. They are selfless. Those little children embody the true spirit of CHRISTmas. 

My Christmas wish for those kids is that they never change. My Christmas wish for the world is that we strive to be more like those kids. 


*Disclaimer: Not every kid at the shelter is a selfless angel. (Well, most of them aren’t angels, but they are pretty sweet.) Over the past twelve years we’ve had a few greedy turds who try to stuff their pockets, or ask if we have a remote control car “cause that’s what mama wants.” It is the real world, after all. We just pray a little extra prayer over them and know that seeds have been planted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...