Monday, December 17, 2012

How Murray Saved Christmas - Day Seventeen

I lost a filling last week. Today I went to the dentist to get that fixed. She said it would be an 50 minute procedure. I heard 15 and thought I would be in and out. 3 hours later I left and my jaw is still store. That being said I just don’t have it in me today. So I am sharing something that is dear to me.

Our church in OKC has done an advent devotional the last couple of years. Last year my friend Scott Ferree wrote about his son Chris. When I read Scott’s entry I cried. I am not even going to pretend otherwise. The Ferree family is a blessing to me in many ways. I didn’t seek them out to be friends, and they most likely didn’t come looking for me, but I think God smushed us together and I am so thankful for that. I told Scott last year I was going to share this, and I think today is a good day.

Love Divine – Scott Ferree

We all get lost in the true meaning of Christmas, which I believe is Love: how God shows his love and how we show our love. It’s great to receive, but is better when we give and witness the response in the form of love. “ For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16). Could you do the same? Would we have the strength to bring a child into the world, knowing it had a greater purpose and would be sacrificed for the greater good?

Our Son Christopher, is a very loving child, as everyone who comes into contact with him knows. Chris is Autistic, and even though we face difficult challenges with his condition, Got has given us a child that is perfect despite the fact that he is different. Since Chris’ birth, I can’t watch a movie where a Father is in jeopardy of losing his son without becoming very emotional, because I know it would be difficult not to have Chris in my life.

Chris is special not only because of his Autism, but also because he unconditionally loves everyone. It doesn’t matter who people are or where they come from. It can be embarrassing when he walks up to unsuspecting people and hugs them. Christ said “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another” (John 13:24). One of the teachers at Chris’ school lost her son in the Iraq War. When she hugged Chris it made her life a little more bearable and she was able to continue because of the love Chris showed her and renewed an emotion that she thought she had been lost forever.

1 comment:

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...