Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Christmas Cookies - Day Nineteen

Cookies Cookies Cookies



On Saturday the boys and I ran like a million and a half errands, and then we made cookies. Of course by the time the kitchen was clean enough to pass Matthew’s inspection for cooking and the boys had done 3 loads of dishes, it was 5pm when we started.

First we made cookie press cookies. We used Jane Rogers Meeks recipe. Every single time I make cookie press cookies with that recipe the cookies come out perfectly. I made wreaths and Scottie dogs. The reason I like these cookies are they taste good AND look cute. If you only knew how many years I struggled with other recipes and cursed that damn cookie press you would appreciate how much I love it when the cookies come out perfectly every time. Then we took a break for dinner.

After dinner my Paul made what he calls crazy cookies. Usually crazy cookies are a basic chocolate chip cookie recipe but instead of just chocolate chips he uses a combination of white chocolate, milk chocolate, butterscotch chips, peanut butter chips, and sometimes raisins or dried cranberries. This year he changed it up and it was a peanut butter cookie with white and dark chocolate chips. They were delicious.

I thought maybe we were done, but Matthew had it in him to make jelly thumbprint cookies. I have a recipe I call cookies 3 way that I can use to make the thumbprint cookies, or roll in colored sugar, or press a Hershey’s kiss on to the cookie when it comes from the oven. I couldn’t find the recipe and so we did some frantic searching for the stupid thing. Then I remembered that it is the same recipe as the cookie press cookies only with vanilla instead of almond extract.

So thumbprint cookies were made, using Kat’s homemade jelly from last summer. Another delicious cookie! I was about ready for bed, but both boys wanted to know when I was going to decorate the cookie press cookies. I had been thinking about the whole decoration issue myself, and how to overcome the challenges. Usually Kat makes me a modified butter cream icing, or I melt white chocolate with a little food coloring and pipe it on the cookies. The problem is that neither of those travel well. So we went with a royal icing. It sure pipes nicely, and looks great. I make no guarantees about how it tastes though. I prefer the butter cream. In years past on the wreaths I did holly leaves with red hot berries, but I discovered a distinct lack of red hots so I just piped little stars. The Scottie dogs got white collars I dusted with candy cane dust.

What are your favorite cookies?

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...