Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Christmas Miracle - Day 22

Party Day.

Today is our party. I haven’t written as much about the party this year as in previous years. I am looking forward to it, but I struggle. This year we are having the party back in OKC, at the Fireman’s Hall. It is a great way to see our friends and family and be together, but because it is not in our home, it feels different to me. I realize this may just be my issue. Instead of dwelling on that, I am going to share another party memory with you. 

In 1997 Kat was very pregnant with Paul. We still planned on having our party and were looking forward to the preparation involved. Also, my Mom and sister Jenni were coming for Christmas. They couldn’t make it for the party, but would be there a few days later. As usual, all that last minute preparation was taking its toll and I was struggling to get the house ready the Friday before the party. In the midst of my chaos there was a knock on the door. I knew without looking, without opening the door, or without any hint, I knew that when I opened the door my Mom and Jenni would be there. Sure enough they were.

They had decided to surprise us so they drove through the night from whatever national park Jenni was working at so that they could be there at the party. They were an absolute surprise and so helpful in the preparations. That was not the only surprise that year. Brian and Kathy Gibson had somehow managed to arrange for Brian Stevens to come from Colorado to be at the party as well. So we had double surprises that year.

So as Kat and the boys and I are preparing for our party today, my wish for everyone is that amazing feeling I had when I opened the door to find my Mom and sister standing there. That excitement and surprise beyond words. Happy party day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...