Thursday, December 9, 2010

Party Day Memories

Last year I made the comment that I would tell the story of the one year someone brought something not up to party standards. I did not because Kat suggested that someone would take it as a challenge and we would have to deal with that again. I know that people suspect that it is all me with the silver platters and the pretty cookies and the plan of what food goes where. Ok, so it is me mostly, but Kat started it.

So yes, one year a friend brought tuna fish sandwiches on a paper plate. “Wow!” was the only thing I could think to say, and Kat followed up with “You shouldn’t have”. And really, it would have been better if they hadn’t. But worse than the paper plate on Kat’s table of delicious goodies, was that people ate them. Toddler year old Paul helped himself to one, but spit it out.

Other food mishaps are the years that we discover after the party is over that we neglected to put out food we had prepared. The first year Kat made tapenade it never made it to the table. The same is true of the feta red pepper artichoke dip. Last year we made a sharp cheddar chasse ball that was to be served with the green chile pineapple jelly, but Kat put the jelly on cream cheese instead. The cheese ball did NOT melt into queso very well at new years.

Do you like apple cider? Do you really? I ask because in 2001 no one drank it. But that may be because someone neglected to put a ladle in the crock pot of cider to serve it with. Likewise, no one will eat summer sausage if there is not a knife to slice it with. 1998.

Sometimes people ask how long it takes to clean up afterwards. That question has different answers. In recent years our family; Ann, Christi, Nolen & Elisa plus others have made a real effort to help us clean as we go, so that by the time the party is over and the food is away, much of the cleaning is done. Of course some years it is Valentine’s Day before the clean party dishes are returned to where they spend most the year. And this year, in July, when we were rearranging furniture in the office I found a punch cup. In my defense, it was on the floor between the two trunks I had made a makeshift table from for the Christmas train. I choose to believe that a child left it there, and not an adult who thought it would be interesting to see how long before we found it.

2 comments:

  1. this reminds me of a couple of memories but i'll stick to the tuna sammies. years ago i werked in bossier city, most of my crew had been there for years. miss ann for more than 30. had to meet labor% and pay for 50 weeks paid vacation. anywho for thanksgiving i was off the day b4 and offered to bake for any that had to work. a couple of them took me up on the offer. others teased them, till i showed up with the food. later we had a christmas party and when i came in miss ann hollered and waved me over to sit with the girls. she said, "sit with us, we're fixin to talk about all the white girls." what she meant was they were going to make fun of anyone that brought anything from the supermarket. one lady, i think her name was gail, brought a dish of macaroni and chez topped with brown gravy and green beans. we laughed at her dish but miss ann had her sit with us cuz she'd made something instead of bought it. rb

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) we know people who don't cook and that is ok for them I guess. They can bring the drinks.

    ReplyDelete

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...