Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Christmas Music

My Matthew likes Christmas music. He really likes it. He really, Really, REALLY likes it. When Paul was little he had several lullaby cd’s plus Madonna’s Ray of Light that he liked to listen to at bedtime. Matthew preferred the Rosemary Clooney, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra Christmas compilation cd to anything else.

On our local cable channels there is a music channel called Sounds of the Seasons that plays seasonal music year round. In July they play patriotic songs, in October they play creepy Halloween music, and they also play Christmas music. As a toddler, Matthew was in the habit of listening to easy listening on the music channel while he napped at his grandparent’s house. We tried the same thing at home for a while, and then when we discovered Sounds of the Seasons playing Christmas tunes, Matthew was very happy. Every night at bedtime he would ask for “Christmas please”. And he fell asleep pretty quickly too.

He is always VERY disappointed come January 1 when they stop playing holiday tunes on Sounds of the Season and start playing a sampling of the other stations. Several times throughout the year he will ask for Sounds of the Season only to be disappointed that it is not Christmas music. Weekly all through October he starts checking to see, is it Christmas music yet? How about now? Is it time yet?

When I tucked him in on Halloween night, he says “Papa you know what tomorrow is? Do you? It is the start of Christmas music!” He says he gets the best sleep with Christmas music, probably because of the sugar plums.

2 comments:

  1. great story. i have that cable channel and listen to it after thanksgiving when i'm in the kitchen or have company. love it with my fireplace dvd. -rb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...that's such a wonderful story. It reminds me of how I played my Frosty record for 365 days a year when I was young. Drove my Dad crazy, lol!! I still love Christmas music and start listening to it around the beginning of October.
    PS Weird fact about me....anytime I step foot on an elevator, I start singing "O Holy Night" in my head. Out loud, if I'm all alone. I must have Christmas Tourette's.

    ReplyDelete

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...