Saturday, December 18, 2010

Do NOT open until . . .

My Matthew does not like surprises. Or, to be more accurate he likes surprises that really are surprises. What he does not like is that anticipation, waiting and expectation feeling. The pressure of a wrapped Christmas gift sitting by the tree is too much for him. What is in it? Who is it for? Who sent it? Is it a toy? What. Is. IT?!?!

When he was much smaller we started putting all the wrapped gifts on top of the entertainment center until Christmas morning when we take them down. This way there is a little less pressure on him, he could barely see them, and certainly could not reach them. Although I remember a determined toddler who had his brother drag a chair over so he could try and climb up to investigate.

He does better now, but he much prefers that we just wrap the gifts and put them up there and not draw attention to them any more than necessary. “I don’t want to think about it!” is what he says. He also has his one or three day rule. When he was in pre-K he very seriously requested we not talk to him about things unless they will happen in one or three days, because he can’t stand the waiting. When Paul was that age, we used to not tell him at all and just surprise him with a family trip, or visit from my Dad. Matthew needs to know in advance, but not too far in advance or he stresses out and can’t sleep, hence the one or three day rule.

This year he has done really well. Early in December Kat got a box from Old Navy, and a box from Victoria Secret at the house. “What is it Mama? Who sent it? Can we open it?” Both boys were very curious. Kathleen reminded them that it was December and did they really want to open every box and be disappointed if there were no surprises on Christmas. So now, boxes come to the house and the boys wink and nudge each other and don’t ask. Will they be disappointed to find out the Victoria secret box had nothing in it for them?

When I picked Matthew up from School on Thursday he had a gift bag with Mama’s name on it. I asked if it was a gift from him that he made in school. He answered no, that it was a gift for Mama from his teacher. I asked what was in it, and he replied that he had not looked. I praised him for his self control and he confided that everyone was asking him what the teacher was giving to him, but that he wouldn’t look. His friends suggested that he just take a peak. “Papa, what kind of kids are they? Don’t they know it is DECEMBER?!?!”

1 comment:

  1. and little does my matthew know it's a present for him from me that I ordered through school...

    ReplyDelete

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...