Monday, December 6, 2010

All I want for Christmas is. . . Deviled Eggs?

The other night at dinner Paul said “There is not a holiday that does not include deviled eggs”. Matthew was quick to point out that Halloween does not include deviled eggs, but that it probably should, except that you would not want to get a deviled egg going trick or treating. Paul said he might. I do not doubt that is true.

When Paul was in preschool they had a holiday lunch at the preschool one year. Parents were invited to attend and eat a traditional turkey and dressing meal with their child. Kat was working so I went and had lunch with Paul. The children had already eaten lunch, but the parents showed up, the kids were allowed to eat again, with the family. (I still haven’t figured that out, but 2nd lunch? Total hit with my boys).

I don’t remember what all Paul ate, except that he made short work of several deviled eggs. Then he went back for more. Then he ate mine. He was going back for a third round when his teacher pointed out that there were not many left and he should probably leave those for others. He wasn’t crazy about that idea.
To distract him, I offered him a piece of pie instead. He took the pie, walked over to his teacher and asked her if he could trade the pie for more deviled eggs. What could she say? She gave him the deviled eggs.

Now that Paul is older he and his brother both make deviled eggs for holiday events. Paul likes his to have some kick; he uses spicy mustard, paprika, maybe some tapatio sauce, some red pepper. . . Matthew says his deviled eggs are more on the heavenly side, and have a sweeter taste, as he adds mayonnaise, and sometimes sweet pickle relish. How many 9 and 12 year olds do you know that have their own secret deviled egg recipes?

3 comments:

  1. oh, and they have many other special recipes, too. and they both want desperately to know all the secrets of the granfa owin's fudge recipe...someday perhaps...someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love deviled eggs. they're not a tradition at mom's but pat used to make them. rb

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww. . . Pat memories. Should I tell you to plant a flower?

    ReplyDelete

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...