Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Day 17. Just a Dip



Still working on that cookbook deal…


Somewhere there is dip, I think, Green bowl perhaps?


Every year people express delight with the party dips we serve.  The dips are good with veggie crudités, crackers or chips.  They are not difficult to make, and truthfully I think what impresses people is that they are not the usual hidden valley ranch dip, which to be honest tastes sort of like chemicals in sour cream.
So if you have successfully followed my eggnog recipe, and have done my easy party appetizer recipe, you can manage this one.  You get bonus points if you have made my cookie press cookies too.

Judson’s Easy Party Dips

You need equal parts sour cream and mayonnaise.  For our party I usually do one cup of each.  That will get you some leftovers you can enjoy later since you will forget to eat at your own party, like I do.

Next you need a squeeze of lemon juice or one teaspoon or so of vinegar.  The teaspoon is the smaller one of the measuring type spoons.  Don’t get it confused with those really long handled spoons. Those are for eating an ice cream Sunday. I don’t know why, I don’t make those rules.

Now comes the hard part.  You need about a 1/4th cup of an herb or spice, and finely diced vegetable that goes with the spice/herb.  Did I lose you? Look it is not that hard.  I do dill and green onions, easy peasy.  You can also do basil and chives. Diced sundried tomato and that Italian seasoning that you throw in the spaghetti sauce.  You can do curry powder and diced onion or a tiny bit of minced garlic (if you do a handful of garlic you will regret it). You can do a version of tzatzkiki sauce with diced cucumbers and dill as well.
Mix really well and then refrigerate for 4-6 hours before serving. 

You have a confused look.

Look, it isn’t that complicated, take a small handful of the dried dill and add it to the sour cream and mayonnaise, then add about the same amount of diced green onions.  Now add the squeeze of lemon juice and stir.

Don’t forget to add salt and pepper ‘to taste’.  That means until you think it tastes good. 

Put it in a pretty bowl and serve with veggies or crackers or both.
\
*** I really like the dill one.  One year we used the leftovers on asparagus with salmon for Christmas dinner, it was delicious.

Let me know how it turns out.  If you are good maybe I’ll share the boys deviled egg recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...