Sunday, December 7, 2014

Day 7. Have yourself an Odd little Christmas...



Today I am featuring another guest blogger.  Today’s entry comes courtesy of Tony Terry.  I have known Tony for a while.  I met him at OBU when I was young and idealistic and naive, and Tony was a former HS wrestler from South Dakota.  Then he went to China, lost his hair and married someone who is probably too good for him and now they have a bunch of kids.  I thought they were still in China but as it turns out they have been back living in Oklahoma for a while.  What qualifies Tony to write a blog entry? He was one of those English major writerly types of people back in college, he was an avid reader of the OBU fashion question, even though he didn’t follow the rules (wrestling shoes worn as regular shoes and a weird leather hat).  Plus. Apparently he likes odd things, which might explain our friendship.

Guest Blogger with questionable music tastes


I have a liking for the odd.  Christmas kind of lends itself to that.  Angels sing to shepherds.  God gets born - in a barn.  There is just loads of odd stuff.

I started thinking about this when I was a senior in high school and chatting with a very pretty girl at the Dairy Queen.  She was on her way home from junior college and couldn’t miss Christmas Eve.  This was her favorite part of the Christmas season.  Her family would put the last touches of decoration on the tree and the house while making lasagna together.  Lasagna was a doubly-odd choice because she was Swedish!  Go figure.

People in Caracas roller-skate to Christmas Eve mass.  If I did that, I would need a priest for a whole other reason.  KFC did a bang-up job inserting a different bearded fellow into the Christmas tradition in Japan in the `70s.  Even now Tokyo crowds the colonel’s place on Christmas Eve.

I find it odd that people serve ham on Christmas.  That seems like a really strange way to celebrate the birth of a Jew.  I eat the ham.  I just think it’s odd.  I am also happy that I am not celebrating in Greenland as they will be eating fermented birds.  If you have to have a bird, go with the Japanese. 

Hope and love are out there in the odd.  Maybe we will start some weird tradition this year.  It would help us fit in better.

***Just a thought, Tony could bring his family to the Christmas party on the 20th. I promise to come up with some odd food choices for him.~J

2 comments:

  1. Tony was and is from North Dakota, not South. He has the same sized `bunch' of kids as Judson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. North, South, tomato, potato. I could have said you from Montana. At least I got the wrestling shoes and the leather hat right.

    And I am pretty sure you have at least 3 kids. Check again, you english major types were always bad at math.

    ReplyDelete

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...