Sunday, December 20, 2009

Day Twenty

This is a secret family recipe

Judson’s Holiday eggnog.

Every Year at our Christmas party I have tons of people asking for my eggnog recipe. And I always say “I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you.” Because that is keeping with the holiday spirit.

But just because it is the season for it I will share.

1. Get the prettiest punch bowl you have. I use a silver punch bowl I bought off of eBay for $18. It is real silver, and old, maybe an antique (probably, because who makes new silver punch bowls?) It has a small dent on one side, and scratch on the other, but when you shine it up, and turn the lights down, and face the dent to the wall, no one will notice. Plus, I tell people it is a family heirloom. Well it might be, just not my family.

2. I put ice in the bottom of the punch bowl and then I put in a glass bowl. We have one that fits the lip of the punch bowl perfectly. I do this because I don’t know about food safety and serving eggnog out of a silver bowl that I used who knows what to polish.

3. I pour the cheapest eggnog I can buy at the grocery store into the glass bowl. Seriously, it doesn’t even have to be eggnog. That ‘nog flavored dairy product’ works just as well. I have done the Braum's brand and it is good, but costs more, so I go on the cheap.

4. That is it.

5. Seriously, what are you looking for? More steps?

6. I am not Martha Stewart. I have more things to do than make eggnog from scratch, and who drinks raw eggs anyway?

7. OMG, are you still reading this? THAT IS IT, NO MORE STEPS

8. Ok, look if you are one of those who cannot leave well enough alone, fresh grated nutmeg, but I usually don’t bother.

9. And if you like it alcoholic you can add rum, but most people kind of gag a little at that. Amaretto is better, or some cream liquor like Irish cream or Kahlua.

10. OK, 10 freaking steps, are you happy now?

1 comment:

  1. I guess I can make eggnog your way!

    My favorite line, however, was: "It has a small dent on one side, and a scratch on the other, but when you shine it up, and turn the lights down, and face the dent to the wall, no one will notice." Seems to me that you could change just a few words here and write another fantastic story.

    ReplyDelete

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...