Friday, December 5, 2014

Day 5. All I Want for Christmas is...




How do you tell your mother in law that you and her daughter broke the bed in their guest room?  What is a good way to explain that?  How do you even start?

Of all of the embarrassing experiences I have had, I never thought that I would find myself having to admit to breaking a bed at my in-laws house in the middle of the night.  No matter how I try to explain it, it just comes out bad.  Stop smirking.

Since moving back to Oklahoma we have been living with my in-laws while we got jobs and found a new place to live.  Kathleen and I have been sleeping in the guest room on a futon couch that converts to a bed.  The futon is old, Kat’s parents had it in CA before they moved out here in 2003.  I am guessing it is at least 15 years old.  Does this sound like I am trying to justify the damage?

Not Our Bed, Just a Dramatic Image for Emphasis


There is a long version of this story that involves slight damage noticed a week ago, but the short and sweet version is that the bed is broken and Tuesday night at midnight I found myself rolling out of a broken bed no matter how I tried to adjust myself.  When faced between sleeping on a bed that was surely going to roll me out onto the floor and sleeping on the floor, Kat and I chose the floor.  Except that the guest room is kind of small, and in order to put the mattress on the floor we needed to move the frame.  So at midnight I was waking up Matthew and getting him to come upstairs to help me move this bed frame downstairs.  I tried to explain that the frame was old, and that it seemed a screw or two was missing, but he just rolled his eyes and said, “don’t tell me, I don’t need to know.” Stop smirking, I say!

We tried to be quiet about the whole thing, but eventually we woke up my mother in law who stuck her head out of her bedroom to see what was going on. When the explanation starts with “We weren’t doing anything …” well it just sounds suspicious.

I promise we weren’t trying to sneak the broken frame downstairs; I just wanted to avoid waking up my in-laws.  I swear.

My VERY good friend Scott is coming by Saturday to help me move my bed from storage into our room.  It is like a Christmas Miracle come early!

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...