Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Day 2. Christmas Cookies



I love cookies.  I know I blogged tongue in cheek about my top 12 cookies, but those were store bought cookies.  I love homemade cookies. Specifically the ones Kathleen makes.  Make no mistake, I am no slouch in the cookie department, I get requests for my cookie press Scottie cookies every year.  My Paul makes his version of Kat’s cup of everything cookies and calls them crazy cookies.  They are delicious.  Last year he made 6 dozen for our Christmas party and his high school friends ate every last one. This year, Kat perfected a browned butter snicker doodle that will make people who don’t love snicker doodles love them.  Matthew’s favorite are thumbprint cookies, I think because he likes the freedom to vary what you fill the thumbprint with; jellies, jams, nutella, Hershey’s kisses. . .



In 2000, when Paul was 2 Kathleen made cookies all the time for him.  I have vivid memories of a toddler Paul walking around our tiny house in Warr Acres with a cookie clutched in one hand and a sippy cup of milk in the other hand.  Kathleen used to call him the cookie monster.  :-)

Did you know that the perfect ratio of ‘pretty’ or ‘holiday’ cookies to ‘taste good’ cookies is 1 to 3?  Tollhouse test kitchen’s figured it out.  That means for every batch of my Scottie dog cookie press cookies, you need to serve a batch of chocolate chip cookies, a batch of orange creamcicle cookies, and a batch of oatmeal  cookies with dried cranberry and white chocolate chips.  You know that had to have been a fun job figuring that out. 



One of the best inventions in the known universe is the Christmas Cookie exchange.  As I understand it people get together and bring cookies to share so that everyone goes home with an assortment of delicious cookies to share with friends and family.  I guess the ‘delicious’ part depends on if your friends are good cooks or not.  Hey, I am aware that not everyone is as good as Kathleen.  I had a sugar free, gluten free cookie once. I felt sad for that cookie, because clearly no one was ever going to love it.

When we are in Oklahoma we do a version of a cookie exchange with our friend and children’s minister Kristen Rogers.  One day in December we gather at her house and bake endless batches of cookies together with friends.  It is a fun time to try new recipes, and everyone goes home with a TON of cookies.  I am already looking forward to this year’s cookie day.  Kathleen and Kristen are going to perfect a molded walnut cookie.  I’ll let you know how it tastes.

Keep all of this in mind when I tell you the other day that Kat got a message on her phone saying she was invited to a ‘cookie jam’.  I was so excited, I was certain it was some type of cookie exchange and that soon she would be bringing home delicious home baked cookies for me to sample and enjoy.  As it turns out ‘cookie jam’ is a GAME. No actual cookies are involved. Not. Even. One.  Who does that?  People who make and eat sugar free and gluten free cookies do things like this.

Eat a cookie for me!

2 comments:

  1. Did you know that those oatmeal/cranberry/vanilla chip cookies have a name? They are Cranberry Hootycreeks. I made some for Tom to take to work some 15 or so years ago and (3 job changes later) he still has co-workers ask for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made that up. Hootycheeks? Who says that? I can just here you telling Em "princesses don't say hootycheeks"

    ReplyDelete

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...