Sunday, December 13, 2015

Tap Tap Tap for Joy

Today was the 3rd Sunday of Advent, Rose Sunday, the Sunday of Joy, so I wish you Joy.

Today our children’s choir and what my Matthew calls the “little kids choir” aka the nursery choir sang in the service.  I love, Love LOVE when the children perform during the worship, because you never know what will happen. And something unexpected always happens.

When my Paul was in grade school they used to have their performances on Wednesday night.  I think the first year he was in choir was the year his buddy Aaron kept pulling his turtleneck up and showing the crowd his belly, I mostly missed that because Paul was so nervous he couldn’t stop scratching his head, both hands vigorously scratching his head during the whole performance, as though he had flees.  For the record, he did not have flees. We had him checked. (Ok I am kidding, he has pretty bad eczema, and once he starts scratching, he can’t stop). 

I don’t remember if it was that year or the next year that my Matthew was in the little kids choir and only he Gracie showed up so they choir teachers elected not to have them perform. Those two were so MAD. Gracie was just going to get up and sing a song of her own composition, and Matthew suggested he could just get up and break dance.  I am not sure how Miss Kristin talked them out of that. I often regret that she did.  There is no telling what we would have gotten to watch.

So today, when the little kids got on stage, of course they forgot what they had practiced just a few minutes before, so there was plenty of herding those littles into place.  Just before they started singing, one of the little girls banged the hard heel of her dress shoe on the wood stage.  It made a nice loud tap dancing style noise.  You should have seen the smile on her face.  I imagine her inner dialogue went something like this “Wow I like that noise, it was loud.  Did anyone else hear that noise?  Let me try that again and see… Why is Miss Kristin making that sour face at me? I am just going to keep making this loud noise with my shoe while we sing it is so much fun!” When the singing was over she banged her heel a few more times, just for funsies.


So far this was the best Sunday morning service this Christmas season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...