Friday, December 10, 2021

The year without a Santa Claus.




This year has been a rough one.  After much pondering and discussion the family has opted not to have a christmas party this year.  Not even a virtual one.  29 years of live parties, one virtual party and this year, nothing.  

Kathleen is exhausted,  Every day exhausted.  It might be a long term covid thing, or a living with (gestures broadly) with all this going on.  So far this year she has made only 1 batch of fudge.  Only 1.  That says how exhausted she is.  Her party feelings were that it's not quite safe enough for an indoor party (especially for families with littles), and our house is small for a group of any size.

I had suggested an outdoor option with a bonfire in the backyard and minimal snacks.  It seemed a viable option, although still would have entailed some work.  I was willing to make the effort, because I am worried that there will be last minute regret if we don’t at least attempt something and I don’t like to disappoint people.  But honestly?  Outdoor in December?  In Oklahoma?  I mean would guarantee a blizzard.

Paul voted in the no party category.  He worries about his mama.  Plus he really isn’t feeling like a big party is a smart move when so many people are still getting sick, and it seems like new variants are all over the place.  Matthew would have thrown his energy into party prep like crazy, but admits that his job is short staffed and is not likely to give him a Saturday night off.

So, no party.  I am struggling to say, “it will be fine.”  I am struggling because I am feeling like the grinch who is canceling not just some festiveness for my family, but also holiday joy for other people as well.  Our family will find another special way to spend that time.  I really, really hope our friends will also find a joyous way to mark the occasion and not come after me with pitchforks. We fully hope, expect, pray, that next year will be a better one and that we will be able to return to welcoming all our closest friends and families to a festive gathering.  I certainly hope so, because otherwise what will I do with 75 punch cups, 50 christmas themed party plates, and countless, countless I say, holiday serving platters?  You can’t exactly hang them on a tree and call them decorations.  I know, I have tried.


No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...