Saturday, December 4, 2021

Since you've been gone




Day 2 - Since you’ve been gone.
In the last year or so, Kathleen and I have been binge watching tv shows in the evenings.  We watched all of Alias, White Collar, Black List, Farscape, Firefly, The Mentalist, Unforgettable, and many many more.  The thing when you binge watch shows is that it gives you the option to skip over the part where they say “previously on …” and give you a mini recap of what has been going on.  Turns out I like that part.  Who knew?
So here you go, a mini recap of this year…
Ummm… I am still running social media and marketing for my sister’s bakery in Tucson.  Remotely, from Oklahoma.  Although I did make 3 trips out there this year.  Which was good.  I like Tucson and I love seeing my family so win/win right?  When I was there in September it was my son Matthew’s birthday.  He was in Oklahoma, so I asked my nephew Keenan (whose first name is also Matthew, but rarely goes by that) if he would mind posing for a picture that I could post on social media wishing my Matthew a happy birthday.  He thought it was a funny idea, so we did.  Turns out only Keenan, Matthew, maybe Paul, and I got the joke.  So a few weeks later when it was Keenan’s birthday I doubled down on the humor and posted a picture of Matthew and wished Keenan a happy birthday.  Still crickets.  They look alike.  Well more so when they were younger, but still, and their bdays are a few weeks apart.  And they have the same first name… like maybe I can’t tell them apart… No?  Am I the only one who found it funny? Probably so.
Even in September my niblings insist I might secretly be Santa.  Apparently a new show debuted on netflix called Home Makeover with Mr. Christmas.  I hadn’t even heard of it before I started getting texts about it from Naomi and Christian, my sister Jen’s youngest two.  Naomi thought I could do much better and that the designs were way basic and uninspired.   Christian texted me to say Blah. Boring. And that he could probably do better himself.  To be honest, he might not be wrong.  
And what more? I am still blessed to be married to the best person I know.  I know very well you can’t have two crazy people in a relationship and thank goodness Kathleen lets me be the crazy one, because being the responsible one looks really exhausting.   We sorta played around with the idea of being empty nesters for a while this year.  I mean Paul was still living at home, but at 23 he's pretty self sufficient so it was like a test drive of that.  Turns out, the empty nest version of us is very similar to parenting us.  Less driving.   Then in October Matthew moved back in and brought his kitty Gandalf with him (this is how we knew it wasn't just a visit).  I had really thought about turning one of the empty bedrooms into an office or something, but oh well.  It is nice to have my family all under one roof.  An added bonus is that I really enjoy watching my sons hang out together.  Makes me feel like I did a good job, or something.
That pretty much catches you up on me this last year.  How about you?  What’s new out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...