Monday, November 5, 2018

The Sweet Smell of Christmas - Day Nine

Something Sweet

Yesterday I mentioned the Corner Bakery experience with my sister and her kids. To be fair, and lest you think it was all inappropriate all the time, we did have a very sweet experience there. It was busy after the Light Parade, but my brother in law secured us a table. Then Jenni and I went to the counter to order for our families. I ordered 3 hot chocolates, a lemon square, a pumpkin gingerbread mini bundt cake, a peppermint brownie, and a raspberry crumble. I figured this way there was plenty to share. Jenni ordered hot chocolate for her family, a molten hot chocolate mini bundt cake and cookies & cream whoopee pies. I think it’s cute how she thinks her kids are still small enough to share deserts with their parents.

When the food came to the table (after the inappropriate bathroom experience) Keenan immediately announced he didn’t want a cookies & cream whoopee pie, he wanted a peppermint brownie! And Naomi did NOT want to share a desert, and looked offended that anyone would suggest it. I assured everyone that we had plenty of deserts and that we would all share, (much to Paul’s disappointment as he had already laid claim to the lemon square). Keenan suggested we all take a bite and then pass the dessert around the table. So we did.

The plates made two circles around the table with giggling and comments about how this was yummy or that was yummy. The second time the peppermint brownie got to Naomi she announced “No more passing, this is what I want!” then she curled her left arm protectively around her plate to fend off any invading forks. Now Naomi may be a Johnson, but that move is pure Kinkade, my cousins and siblings all learned it in defense of my Granddad and my children and their cousins learned it in defense of my dad.

So the dessert passing ended with Naomi getting the peppermint brownie, Paul with the lemon square, Matthew with the pumpkin gingerbread cake, Jenni got the molten chocolate cake, and I got the raspberry crumble. Keenan wound up with the whoopee pie that he did not want, so he shared the pumpkin gingerbread with Matthew, and the chocolate cake with his mom. Naomi was so right when she said “We have the best family ever!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...