Thursday, December 10, 2009

On the 10th day of Christmas. . .

A tale of the Christmas Grinjetta.

When I was a freshman in HS I moved from Tucson AZ to Santa Fe NM to live with my Dad, my sister Juliet, my brother Ben, and their Mom Rebecca. Years before my own Mother had made the decision that no matter what Jenni and I had to be with her for Christmas, (I think completely sleeping through Christmas one year when we were at my Dad’s had something to do with it). So I was living in NM, but I would be heading to Tucson for Christmas.

One evening in December as the family was sitting down to dinner a very grumpy Juliet announced that she HATED Christmas. Right away everyone was asking what could possible lead a 4 year old to such a decision. But she refused to elaborate. Over the rest of the holiday season she grumpily held to her opinion and even told us her name was NOT Juliet it was Grinjetta. The most that we could ever get out of her on that topic was that Grinjetta was a cross between a girl Oscar the grouch and the Grinch that stole Christmas.

Just like at the beginning of the Dr. Seuss story where it says “no one quite knows the reason”, the same is true for Juliet’s pronouncement. I do not think that she was particularly unhappy that holiday season, but she sure let us know not to cross her or face the wrath of Grinjetta.

Merry Merry, OR ELSE!!!

1 comment:

  1. I guess we all have our Grinjetta days...well everyone except me and you, right?

    Sybil

    ReplyDelete

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...