Sunday, December 6, 2009

Day Six

Look at me I am like the Christmas blog version of the energizer bunny.

When Kat and I were newlyweds we had a little dog named Angel. Angel started life as Ann and Stephen Hankins dog, and then they gave her to Kat and Steph. For years Kat and Steph traded Angel back and forth depending on who had a house and could keep her. Then after we were married she came to live with us full time. She was a Chihuahua-dachshund mix. I understand now that they call this particular mix of dog breed a chi-weenie dog.

Angel was a pretty good little dog. I used to say that she had a guilty conscious though, because all you had to do was ask “did you do that?” and she would give you the most pathetic hangdog look I had ever seen a dog make.

“Wait a minute,” you are thinking, “what does this have to do with Christmas?” This is background information you need for the end of the story. And now by my telling you this I have probably ruined the surprise. See what you get for jumping ahead? You probably are one of those that read the last page of the book before you start right?

So ANYWAY, back to the story at hand. When Kat and I were newlyweds, and I was still a student at OBU we used to have people over to the house after the annual Hanging Of The Green. This ‘after hanging’ soiree was a precursor to our party I am sure. The idea was that once this big gala event was over people could stop by the house and have some cookies and maybe a drink or some fudge. One such year we left the house in order and all ready to receive guests when we left to attend the event. One of the types of cookies that Kat had made that year was coconut macaroons, and she had generously filled a large decorative basket with them and placed a festive holiday napkin on top.

I am not sure how long Angel waited before helping herself to the cookies. What I do know is that when we opened the front door when we returned and our friends walked in, the very first thing they laid eyes on was the dog standing on the dining room table with a coconut macaroon in her mouth and the holiday napkin on her head.
So you see? Sometimes the fact that we have to put the food out after the guests arrive is not a bad thing.

I always say ‘poison your guests once and they never come back’ but a corollary might be, ‘try and serve cookies with dog germs on them and no one will ever eat those cookies again.”

I was going to end this with the statement that since no one ate them at the party I had to mail them to my siblings for Christmas. But then I thought, what if they read that? And surely Kat would never let me do that. Surely not ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Good thing I don't like coconut. I do miss the "hanging of the green"...a great OBU tradition.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your foreshadowing writing style!

    Should have mailed the cookies to us. We eat things the dog enjoys all the time! Our dog has great taste! Loves coconut too.

    Sybil

    ReplyDelete

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...