Monday, December 7, 2009

Day Seven

La La La.

Alright, so once upon a time Kathleen had a boss. Not the boss she has now, nor even the boss she had before the boss she had now. Many years ago, ok not that many since I am not that old, but you get the idea. This guy did not like Kathleen. No, seriously he did not like her. I know, it sounds hard to believe but it is true. He wasn’t mean or anything, but he just was not a fan of Kathleen’s.

So every year we have this party and I try to be selective about who we invite, but Kathleen is kind and loving and invites people that I find irritating, but since she does it out of the goodness of her heart I put up with it. (Because I try and encourage her to be kind and loving to people who do not deserve it since the day she stops you know she will kick me to the curb). As a result, she tends to invite the people she works with. This is not to say that I do not like the people she works with, because I do like many of them, especially any of them that might be reading this. Some of them that I am sure would never ever read this, I may have found irritating in the past. But maybe only once and it was a long long time ago. I hope you get my point.

So in the dark and distance past, Kathleen took party invitations to everyone in her office. Invitations that I labored over were taken and distributed to people, including the aforementioned boss. All of this was in the spirit of Christmas and yuletide good times. At the end of the day Kat went into the office of the boss to drop off some paperwork and found the un-opened invitation in the trash. Ok, really? In the trash? Like he could not even take it home and throw it away there? Kathleen, being the kind hearted loving person she is, took it out of the trash and put it back on his desk. Not that he came to the party. The fact that he didn’t want to come to the party does not make him a bad person. But I have never been able to figure out the ‘just throw it away and not open it’ thing. What is that? How do you not even be curious what is in the envelope? Maybe there was cash? I am just saying.

So then, years later, Kathleen encounters this man at a work conference and he snubs her again. I know right? So Kathleen comes home and shares the story with me and with our nephew Baby Scott, (who was 16 at the time). Baby Scott thought Kathleen was making it up. We assured him it was true, that this man does not like Kathleen. Baby Scott offered up this gem of an insight, “there must be something seriously wrong with him, like deep down inside, really messed up. That is the only explanation of why someone would not like Kathleen.”

This story has 3 morals.
1. Some people are idiots
2. Baby Scott Rocks.
3. There really is a list, and sometimes Kat lets me cross people off of it.

3 comments:

  1. Inconceivable!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL-- this was great! And I agree fully with Baby Scott. How could anyone NOT like Kathleen?? It's unheard of!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judson, your writing has fantastic "personal voice," something English teachers really try to encourage and only the best of writers have it.

    Sybil

    ReplyDelete

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...