Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Epiphany



Well it is all said and done.  We are through with the anticipation, patience, hope, and revelation of the advent season.  Yesterday was 3 kings day so even the wise men have shown up and gone.  Presents were purchased, exchanged and opened.  In theory all the holiday decorations should be coming down.  I’ll get to it eventually.  We can throw in a new year’s celebration and pretty much we are now on a fast track to spring break & Easter.  Summer and the annual season of Pride celebrations is literally just around the corner.

I just want to stop for a minute though, well several minutes and breathe.  Did you get to relax and spend time just being with your loved ones?  I hope you did. We had a few quiet family days here.  We taught the boys to play canasta and they seemed to enjoy that, although Paul much prefers the game “bullshit” he learned from his high school buddies. I think that may be in large part because he thinks it gives him freedom to cuss in front of his parents.

We saw some movies; Catching Fire, Saving Mr. Banks, and the boys saw The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.  Is there a name for movies based on a book or story that bear so little in common with the actual work it is based on that you wonder if anyone ever read the book? No? There should be. 

Did you make any New Year’s resolutions?  I tend to avoid them, although I will say that last year I made a commitment to work out, and I made it almost through the year with that.  I also resolved not to punch anyone in the face in 2013 and I managed to accomplish that, although the last few weeks of December were touch and go. 

What am I resolved to do in 2014?  I am not sure yet.  2013 I seemed to be very focused on my body, 2012 my focus was on my family and the changes we were experiencing in Colorado.  2011? All about my career.  So I think 2014’s resolutions will be about my soul.  Yes, despite rumors to the contrary I do have one.  I just wonder if I forget to take care of it sometimes.  So this year I am going to make time to breathe, and I am going to think about my soul and remember what Walt Whitman said “Whatever satisfies the soul is truth.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023.2

efore anyone points out that I am already behind, I know, believe me, I know.  I’m not offering excuses, today, but just letting you know, I...